Water rights are property rights. They can be leased or sold. The Constitutions of the United States and Montana protect water right holders from being deprived of those rights without due process of law. All water in Montana is owned by the State, subject to appropriation for beneficial uses by water right claimants. Water right holders do not own the water. They only own the right to USE the water. GID’s water right is co-owned with the Bureau of Reclamation. GID delivers this water to assessed acres within the District. Our water right is limited to and defined as follows:
- Source: Sun River/surface water
- Point of Diversion : Diversion Dam on Sun River & Pishkun Reservoir
- Place of Use: 83,231.72 acres within District Boundaries
- Beneficial Use/Purpose: Irrigation, Domestic, Livestock, etc.
- Maximum Flow: 1512 CFS at Diversion
- Period of Use: April 1st to October 31st
- Priority Date: May 25, 1906
GID also has storage rights for Gibson and Willow Creek Reservoirs.